"... knowing that to be a librarian was to come as close as any human being can to sitting in the
peak-seat of eternity's engine."
- Stephen King
jan : feb : mar
apr : may : jun
jul : aug : sep
oct : nov
I'm gone to Alaska via ferry for the next seven days, so non-existent updating til I get back on the 30th.
- What is Canada's National Librarian worried about? [ thanks iboy ]
- Mark calendars now! Montreal's first Anarchist Bookfair is in May next year.
- "When people want civil regulations over
information, be it comforting or disturbing information, it
is a step toward totalitarianism." a nice editorial in the Spokane Review. [ thanks steven ]
- A Vermont bookseller's diary.
- ACLU continues to fight filtering software. ALA warns they "might" file a lawsuit.
- god answers some of your FAQ.
- PETAC: People for the Expeditious Termination of
- "Traditional woman", librarian, now first lady.
- Activists achieve purpose, donate rest of money to children's library.
"It's juicy," said Bruce Morton, Dean of Libraries at MSU about why people love pulp fiction.
- Stamps for your library. [ thanks dennis ]
gift means more to a university than a gift to support its library" says BU but then sits on a huge donation for seven years. [ thanks sarah ]
- New library in my neighborhood.
- Is something wrong with the Digital Library site?
- Spectrum Scholarship, available again.
- Not just a coffeeshop, but a "cafe like Starbucks" graces the new College of New Jersey's library.
- Dictionary of Difficult Words: Weltanschauung.
- Word! Lexicographers and librarians confront the chad.
- The phrase "how the new library stacks up" is hereby banned from the pages of librarian.net.
- Surveys. They're like tests only you know all the answers. Help with the new Guide to Reference Books.
- Community Outreach as a Survival Strategy, another winner from Marylaine.
- First Monday responds to Nicholson Baker's newspaper article. [ juice ]
- Mitch Freedman for ALA President.
[ juice ]
- Subverted Public Domain List: things that would be in the public domain except for the Copyright Term Extension Act of 1998.
- The revenge of the library scientist.
- Corrosion library online soon.
- "We have Internet access. We just currently have
no computers." Broome County Library not quite open yet.
- "The Dewey Decimal System, what a scam that was. Boy that Dewey guy really cleaned
up on that deal." Seinfeld library episode online. [ librarystuff ]
- "Who has time for old books
? To be au courant now means
that the only information really worth having
is news that isn't available yet." [
Xmas and New Year's cards with book related themes.
Lifer writes kids books, and they're darned good too. [
- I know you've seen this: not endangered, just underpaid. And a word or two about underemployment. [ thanks
- Dumb library CD thieves get busted. "They had not
even bothered to remove any of our property labels." [thanks rsarea ]
- Librarians vs. Time Warner in copyright fracas "We would have an Internet superhighway with no
cars because content owners would not want to
provide information in digital form" You think? [
thanks jen ]
- ISSNs for weblogs? [
thanks sarah ]
- Getting a library whether you like it or not? [
thanks chuck ]
Today is World AIDS Day, this is a day without weblogs.