"When a book and a head collide and there is a hollow sound, is it always
from the book?"
- Georg Lichtenberg
jan : feb : mar
apr : may : jun
discussion on open source OPACs.
great places to say shhhh. Dorky USA Today misses
the point about good reading rooms, but pulls up some good ones
- Teacher's union tells students to stay
out of the library in Canton, OH.
- special note
If you are a librarian [practicing, non-practicing, degreed, novice,
whatever] and will be at Burning
Man, please let me know.
- Lawlessness in Cincinnati Public Library - police can no longer patrol the stacks.
- Nashua Public Library revokes
- Dave Davis to Fargo PL: "Pay me to go
- special note
It's that time of
year again where I take to the roads and leave my poor laptop to
starve for several weeks. Updates will be erratic at best until early
September. In the meantime, catch up on your
reading. Might I suggest:
My regular web pages may
get updated a bit more frequently, in case you're curious what I'm up to.
Keep sending links, please, I might get a
chance to add 'em on.
- More from Fargo. Dave Davis offers
office fires workers for refusing to cross picket line at OH
- "Books are
sacred," says city attorney Howard Wright explaining a new proposal
to charge patrons with overdue items in municipal court.
research library planned in Denver.
- Louisville Free Public Library honors Thomas Fountain Blue the first librarian at the former Western
Colored branch. In 1914, he was the only black librarian in the
country at a library with an all-black staff.
- Create Change is
a site sponsored by research librarians & others to help "reclaim
scholarly communication" and increase dissemination of scholarly works.
- joke, or is
it? [repeat link from 14aug, new
A guy walks into a library and said, "Can I have a burger
The librarian said, "Sorry, this is a library."
So the guy whispers, "Can I have a burger and fries?"
- Book sales slower than sales of other, less-useful stuff, some book shop
The British Library is destroying thousands of books! A look into
their weeding process. [thanks
- Here's a list of Health
Programs and Services provided at public libraries. [thanks amylinda]
workers in solidarity with library strikers! Some are, anyway.
- The 50
most influential policy books of all time, from policy.com. [thanks bird]
- Teens want comfy
libraries with snacks. [thanks
- "Lost Library" destroyed in Vesuvius explosion may be
unearthed ""There are ... carbonised
materials such as ropes, wood and fabrics, writing tablets,
even grain stores. Who knows, the great library may well
have been equally well preserved over 2,000 years . . . this
is the Holy Grail of Latin scholars." [thanks victoria]
ot anarchist librarian Daniel Tsang has some advice for the LAPD.
- Lydia's Renegade
Librarian has those links you love, and a special rants section.
Plus, it's very lovely.
Guess and chuck" search habits -- how to teach teens to use the
Internet for research. [thanks jen, NYT
- Please send your
soup can labels to the Ames Public Library and help them get a new
- In Egypt, " a thousand workers were working 24 hours a day in two
shifts to meet the construction deadline" Pyramids? No,
the Alexandria Library. Please take the stupid poll while you're
arian responds to criticism over school media center book selection.
- Boom! Exploding
- How you get librarian jobs I: Temp
job became 22-year career for librarian.
- How you get librarian jobs II: LISJobs Professional
- I would really like to see the
results of this Dr. Laura poll....where are they? [thanks andrew]
- Ways to teach library
scabs a lesson. "Call the library and reserve internet time. Don't
show up for it. Call 2 minutes after your time has begun and say you're
on the way.
Repeat tomorrow." [thanks
- Always remember, blame the librarian, an Art Buchald favorite. [thanks amylinda]
reference master link list. [thanks
- Save the reading room! [thanks steven]
case of the missing book cart. [thanks jodie]
- Library murder mystery novel, stabbed librarian and all!
- USA Today maintains
the illusion that information is hard to find and users are dumb
"everyone has heard of the Dewey Decimal System
for categorizing library books, but hardly anyone has
heard of Boolean
search operations for the Net, though dear old George
Boole is now
arguably a lot more useful to most of us than Melvil
- On the topic of librarian-fetishists.
- Dan Lester has a large librariana
- Steven Cohen of LISNews fame is starting his own little
- Futuristic sci-fi
- Constant Reader is a new
weekly stop for me. I especially like the article about
- "Bookmobile work is not for everyone. The simple lack of a
bathroom on board has turned many away. But those who
the bus love the work and the people and the
camaraderie it affords
them." on board the bookmobile for
the Amish. [thanks
- "People use us heavily. Alto's a small town," she said.
"We're about it as far as entertainment goes." Michigan
libraries to close if tax levy doesn't pass.
- Old and
rare books in exotic languages in the
Somogyi collection. [thanks booknotes]
- "Hey, my friend's having a heart attack! No, I did not know I
have thirty-five cents in overdue fines...." Library offers CPR kits to check out.
- Outdoor library with
jellyproof books. [thanks mary
- The library is too hot! The
librarians are in sandals! Chaos!
safe if kids run in library.
- Study shows acronym use by librarians "way the fuck out of hand"
- Baker & Taylor and Grace to CA Government "sorry for defrauding you." Please note: Any
CA library that purchased books from
Baker and Taylor between 1980 and 1993 can file a claim. [thanks amylinda & others]
- Meanwhile in CA, no sweetheart deal
for Friends and Foundation of the San Fran Public library. [thanks andrea]
- St. Louis public library hosts the beer art
- An interview with Ask
- Langston Hughes
Library of child advocacy and non-violence. [thanks amylinda]
- Library Juice has articles on
the Canton OH library strike.
news on the strike: "The library is paying Huffmaster [security
forces] with money that would have been used to pay wages to the
- The new TOC for
Progressive Librarian [and three good articles] is up.
- 600 hours of TV programming, $100 million dollars. Film library sold.